1. Face the qiblah.
2. Keep a distance between both the feet (approximately 4 fingers) with the toes of both the feet facing towards the qiblah.
3. Raise the hands up to the ears with the thumbs being parallel with the earlobes.
4. Once the hands are raised parallel to the earlobes, recite the takbeer الله أكبر.
5. When raising the hands to the earlobes ensure that the palms are facing the qiblah and the fingers are kept in their natural position, neither spread apart nor tightly closed.
6. The head should be kept straight without bending it or pulling it back.
7. Fold the hands below the navel after saying the takbeer.
8. Place the right hand over the left hand.
9. Form a ring with the thumb and small finger of the right hand around the left wrist.
10. Fix the gaze on the place of sajdah during the standing posture.
11. Recite the thanaa.
NB: The thanaa will be recited by the Imaam as well as the muqtadis.
12. Recite ta`awwuz followed by tasmiyah.
13. Recite Surah Fatihah followed by qiraat.
Mas’alah: The ta’awwuz, tasmiyah and qiraat will only be recited by the Imaam.
Mas’alah: The muqtadi will remain silent after reciting the thanaa. He will not recite the ta’awwuz, tasmiyah and the qiraat behind the imaam.
Mas’alah: If one is performing salaah individually he would recite the ta’awwuz, tasmiyah and qiraat.
Mas’alah: If the muqtadi joined the salaah at the time when the qiraat had commenced, then the muqtadi should not recite the thanaa. Instead, he should remain silent after saying the takbeer.
14. Recite tasmiyah before the surah.
Mas’alah: The tasmiya will only be recited after surah faatiha if one is going to commence a surah. If one is not going to commence any surah then tasmiyah should not be recited.
Mas’alah: One should endeavour to recite the masnoon qiraat that has been prescribed for the various salaahs. The masnoon qiraat is as follows:
One should recite in Fajr and Zuhr from the Tiwaal-e-Mufassal surahs i.e. from Surah Hujraat to Surah Inshiqaaq, and in Asr and Esha from the Awsaat-e-Mufassal surahs i.e. from Surah Burooj to Surah Qadr and in Maghrib salaah from the Qisaar-e-Mufassal surahs i.e. from Surah Bayyinah to Surah Naas.
Continue reading Qiyaam →