1. Ensure that there is total segregation between na mahram men and women within the home.
2. Be polite and respectful when speaking, especially to one's household members.
3. Always remove any foul smell or odour from the mouth or body before entering the home.
4. Discuss deeni matters that were heard in a lecture etc.
5. If one is idle indoors, then engage in some outdoor activity like gardening etc.
1. When leaving the home leave with the left foot.
2. Recite the masnoon du`aa when leaving the home:
بِسْمِ اللهِ تَوَكَّلْتُ عَلىَ اللهِ لاَ حَولَ وَ لاَ قُوَّةَ إِلاَّ بِاللهِ
In the name of Allah Ta’ala. I place my reliance upon Allah Ta’ala. There is no power (to do good) nor any ability (to refrain from evil) except with Allah Ta’ala.
3. Always leave with the consent of the elders of the home.
4. See to the comfort and ease of others e.g. make the cold water available on a hot day or switch on the fan etc.
5. Do not disturb others by talking loudly or turning the volume on the radio too loud etc.
6. Do not rely on others to do your personal home chores e.g. making the bed or washing the dishes etc.
1. Keep the home neat and tidy. Do not leave things scattered about.
2. Replace commonly used items to their respective places.
3. Do not delay in using something that is used by several people, and your prolonging will inconvenience them e.g. the toilet, bathroom etc.
4. Set aside a time daily for ta`leem, zikr, tilaawat of the Quraan etc.
5. Get rid or cover any animate picture or object in the home.
1. Upon entering the home, make your presence known. There can be one of several situations:
a) Your own private room. For this no permission is required to enter.
b) Another room in the house.
c) A Common room where everyone sits e.g. the lounge. For these two, permission is required.
2. Make salaam when entering the home.
3. Enter the home with the right foot.
4. Recite the masnoon du`aa upon entering the home:
اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّى أَسْأَلُكَ خَيْرَ الْمَوْلِجِ وَخَيْرَ الْمَخْرَجِ بِسْمِ اللَّهِ وَلَجْنَا وَبِسْمِ اللَّهِ خَرَجْنَا وَعَلَى اللَّهِ رَبِّنَا تَوَكَّلْنَا
O Allah I ask You for the blessings of entering the home and the blessings of leaving the home. In the name of Allah Ta’ala we enter, and in the name of Allah Ta’ala we leave. And upon Allah Ta’ala our Lord we place our trust.