When ‘Umar bin ‘Abdul ‘Aziz (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) was in his last moments, someone came and reprimanded him saying that you have left nothing for your children. He replied that if they are righteous then Allah Ta‘ala will take care of them and if they are sinful then why should I leave wealth behind for them and assist them in their wrong. This was his succession plan for his children.
The historian reporting this says that I saw the children of ‘Umar bin ‘Abdul ‘Aziz (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) and the children of the other rulers. Not long had passed and the children of the other rulers would actually stretch out their hands for hand-outs from people, whereas the children of ‘Umar bin ‘Abdul ‘Aziz (rahmatullahi ‘alaih) were able to equip the Muslim army with 200 fully laden horses.
This does not mean that we should not leave behind anything for our children. We should leave something for them, but our equations are wrong. We feel that if they are left with wealth and investments then only will they prosper. Rather, 15 to 20 percent can be wealth and the rest of the 80 percent should be deen.
Deen does not mean merely seeking knowledge, but practically implementing deen and transferring the right Islamic values in our children. This will come about with pious company. Allah Ta‘ala says: “كُونُوا مَعَ الصّٰدِقِينَ – (Remain in the company of the truthful)”. This is an obligation that is perpetual.
If we cannot remain in their company then the substitute will be to study those kitaabs that they recommend. The idea is to break away from every other thing and connect to Allah Ta‘ala. We will eventually have to meet Allah Ta‘ala. So we should prepare to meet Him in a state that He is pleased with us and we are pleased with Him.